Friday, June 25, 2010

Second Mortgage Modification

Although the media is reporting that the recession is getting better, the economy is still in recovery. There are still thousands of homeowners who are struggling to make mortgage and ends meet. Many homeowners have had not only modify their first mortgage but also take a second mortgage in order to make ends meet, but now making that payment on top of all the other growing expenses can leave many struggling. There may be some help for those homeowners who are in this situation.

The 2nd Lien Modification Program (2MP) may be just what you need. A few large institutions have already signed on to the 2MP program: Bank of America (and Countrywide), CitiMortgage, Chase (with EMC and WaMu), and Wells Fargo (and Wachovia). More are expected to join this growing list.

Below are some of the eligibility requirements:
  • You have a second mortgage on your home and:
  • Your first mortgage has been modified under HAMP
  • Your second mortgage provider is one of the participating banks
  • Your second lien was originated on January 1, 2009, or earlier
  • Your second lien has an unpaid principal balance of $5,000 or more and a monthly payment of $100 or more
  • The second lien servicer has a 2MP modification agreement or trial period plan in place for you by December 31, 2012
Interest rates are reduced to 1-2%, depending on the type of second lien you have. The term of the loan can be extended to 40 years. Even better, a 2MP servicer can even forgive all or part of the second lien, which means your debt is reduced or removed.

There are some restrictions. You can’t participate if your mortgage is subordinate to a second lien, or if it is a home equity loan in first lien position. 2MP is also not for you if you don’t have to make payments on your second lien or interest is charged until the first is paid in full. Liens insured, guaranteed or held by a Federal agency like FHA, HUD, VA, or Rural Development aren’t covered under 2MP.

If you qualify, however, it can be a financial lifesaver. To learn more, contact your mortgage provider or a housing counselor through HUD.