Making the move to a new home and leaving your familiar surroundings can be a stressful on both you and your pet. It can be even more difficult for your beloved pets when moving because they have no idea why all the commotion! It is important to have a plan and take your pet's needs into consideration to have a smooth transition for everyone. Below are some tips to help you get started!
- Take your time and plan ahead. Stretch out your packing over several weeks so you won't have to worry about any last minute crunch times. This will help to avoid panic in the last days, leaving moving day as relaxed as possible for you and your pets.
- Schedule an appointment with your veterinarian a few weeks before your move for a check up. Be sure to attain your pet's veterinary records so that they can be forwarded to your new veterinarian. Certain localities may have stringent requirements or restrictions regarding pet ownership. You may need permits or registrations.
- Don't change your pets' routines. Animals thrive on routines, if they know when to expect things such as feedings and walks, they will do much better. Changing these routines can cause animals to feel stressed and might cause illness or behavioral. Try to keep everything on the same level as normal.
- When you arrive at your new home, designate a unused room with a door that is quiet and just for them. Provide them with fresh food and water and their bed or favorite toy, something that is familiar to them. This will keep them safe and calm while the move is going on.
- If your pets are not micro-chipped be sure to get a new pet ID tag with your new address and contact phone numbers and if they are micro-chipped be sure to update the info with your microchip company.
If you are moving a long distance and need to enlist the help of professional pet movers you have many choices. There are companies that specialize in air travel for moving pets and others that offer various methods of pet transportation that can transport your pets to the next state or around the world. As always do your research to find one that fits your needs and comes highly recommended.